Vitality shows in not only the ability to persist
but the ability to start over.
~ F. Scott Fitzgerald
- For those of us not able to be present at worship this past Sunday, the text of Dawn’s message can be found here.
- The service theme for this Sunday, August 24 is “What It Means to Be Here” - a reflection on the question of why we come together each week as a community of faith...and just what is it that makes this sacred space and time? Why do we do this thing we do?
- If you possess the need to know further in advance what’s planned for upcoming services, please visit our website. Please note that the contents of this page have been known to fluctuate on occasion due to many inspiration-related factors...consider yourself warned.
- Upcoming Special Service: On September 14 we will join many UU congregations in celebrating the arrival of fall with our annual “Water Service” (also known as "Ingathering" or "Water Communion"). We invite you to bring a small container of water collected from a special place you visited during summer travels or perhaps from closer to home. Pouring it into a common vessel, we symbolically share our inner and outer journeys.
*This service will be followed by the dedication of our recently installed Peace Pole.
UUFCM Caravan to Michigan Pride March - August 23
Did you know:
• It is miPride's 25th Anniversary
• There is a Pride March and
• Rally at State Capitol and
• Commitment Ceremonies
Join the fun! We are getting together a group from UUFCM to walk in the Pride March 2014. Wear your Standing on the Side of Love shirts, or anything rainbow, or UUFCM tee shirts, and help carry our UUFCM banner and the Standing on the Side of Love Banner. We will meet at UUFCM on Saturday 23 at 11:00-11:30 to caravan to Lansing. Please contact Michelle Whitney (phone or text 989-817-2851 or firstname.lastname@example.org) if you decide to join us!
Peace Pole Installation
On August 23rd at 1:00 p.m., we will be installing our long awaited Peace Pole. If you are willing to help dig, level, pour concrete, or cheer others who are, then please join us! We will meet near the sign on the lawn of our church. If you have questions, contact Hank Zeniewicz at 989.854.8176 or email@example.com. The dedication of the Peace Pole will be held on September 14th.
Sewing Circle is cancelled for September 1st, but will continue the regular schedule on September 15th.
Make Joyful Noise!
Come, come, whoever you are. The 2014-2015 choir season is officially beginning this Wednesday evening, August 13, 2014 from 7:00-8:00. If you have ever been in a choir, or have always wanted to be in a choir, or just enjoy singing, please join us. We are in need of some additional voices. Although we do try and sing on the majority of Sundays from September through June, we are very flexible and are happy to have you when you are able to be with us even if it is once a month. We also have some members who are unable to be at the rehearsals on Wednesday evenings and sing with us on Sunday mornings. If you are interested and have questions or would like a personal invitation, please contact Chris Bauerle or any of the other choir members and we will be happy to talk with you. My contact information: firstname.lastname@example.org or 989-330-8457. Our first Sunday service of the year will be this Sunday, August 17.
RE Needs Volunteers
September is right around the corner, and as well as back-to-school, our youth will be resuming religious education curriculum. We are very excited to be offering diversity and social justice as our theme for this year's programs. We need teachers! All you need to be a successful RE volunteer is to be caring and enthusiastic. We have great curriculum prepared, ready to be placed in helping hands. Each volunteer will be teaching with a partner and time commitments are somewhat flexible. If you have any availability we would love to have your help energizing our youth with a UU's commitment to social justice. Please contact the Director of Religious Education, Roze Finn, with questions at (989) 400-7674 or email@example.com.
First Friday Potlucks Are Back!
Laura McBride is kicking off the first themed potluck on Sept. 5th with the theme being Comfort Food Favorites! If you are interested in attending, please go to Perfectpotluck.com and enter coordinator last name: McBride and password: 3619. Conversation and/or games may follow, so bring your favorites of either or both! See you then!
There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...
not going all the way, and not starting.
~ Gautama Siddharta
UUFCM Board of Trustees for 2014-2015
President: Laura McBride (989.772.5512; firstname.lastname@example.org)
President Elect: Annette Pratt (989.400.0173; email@example.com)
Past-President: Gisela Moffit (989.772.1602; firstname.lastname@example.org)
Treasurer: David Macleod (989.772.0595; email@example.com)
Secretary: Vicki Chessin (989.463.3076; firstname.lastname@example.org)
Trustee: Scott Daigle (989.506.5750; email@example.com)
Trustee: Capalene Howse (989.488.8714; firstname.lastname@example.org)
Trustee: Jennifer Prout (989.400.3130; email@example.com)