As announced from the pulpit last Sunday, Rev. Drew will be leading a monthly small group starting in September. The small group will meet for two hours toward the end of the month. At the beginning of the month, participants will get a packet of activities and questions related to the monthly theme. These themes are published by a UU group called Soul Matters and are the same themes that we often follow in Sunday worship and in the children’s classes. For example, the theme for September is “Welcome” and some of the questions that the small group will consider include:
- Who welcomed you in when you needed it most? How has that gift changed you? What would you say to the person if you had the chance?
- What would you tell someone younger than yourself about welcoming in grief?
- Have you ever welcomed in a moment so fully that you suddenly felt one with it?
- What part of you do you wish your family of origin would have welcomed more enthusiastically?
- Do you know what it’s like to encounter a welcome that requires you to remove parts of yourself to belong?
- What part of yourself is hardest to welcome in and embrace with compassion: Your vulnerable self? Your flawed self? Your easily frightened self? Your angry self?
- Download the Soul Matters small group packet for September here. It is 11 pages and contains all the activities and questions for the month.
- Let Rev. Drew know that you are interested and what times of the week are good for you–the meeting time will be decided based upon who is attending.